We’ve heard the voice in our heads over and over:
- I need more hours in a day.
- My to-do list keeps growing.
- I just don’t have time for that.
And so on and so on. You’re often so busy with client work and day-to-day operations it’s easy to neglect what might need some extra TLC the most: your business.
Perhaps it’s improvements to your website, or an email campaign to promote your business—either way, it’s easy to put off these tasks that your business needs in order to profit.
Chakisse Newton, founder and president of Cardinal Consulting, presented an idea at a conference I recently attended that is worth sharing:
It is better to move one thing forward a mile, than 12 things forward an inch.
Think about this in terms of those things on your to-do list intended to move your business forward. You might have a lot of goals. When focusing on the bigger picture, those goals probably seem hard to accomplish. Try focusing on one item at a time.
Here are a few tips to help you implement those changes on your list you’ve probably been staring at for a while:
- Choose one. Start with one item on your list, instead of focusing on multiple.
- Give it a deadline. If you don’t set a realistic deadline to make your change happen, it probably won’t.
- Ask for support. Knowing someone is there to help will keep you moving in the right direction.
- Stay positive. Yes, you can make this happen.
- Celebrate and move to the next. When you tackle the change you’ve wanted to make, give yourself a pat on the back and move on to the next one.
Sounds pretty easy, right? While implementing changes probably won’t go exactly like this, focusing on one at a time will prove to be more efficient than consistently scrambling with a handful. Tracking your successful changes will also keep you and your business moving forward.